April 19th - BAD Day!!

April 19th is a day of three top memories for me. First of all, we all know it was the day of the Oklahoma City bombing. It's hard to believe that it was 10 years ago today that it happened. I saw pictures of the memorial site last night on the news, and it is sad. All those chairs for the people who died in the blast, and the little chairs for the children. It's still hard to fathom that the person responsible for this came from my neck of the woods. Timothy McVeigh lived in a small town called Pendleton, which is perhaps half an hour or 40 minutes from where I live. Maybe a bit more, I'm not sure. I've never been there. But unfortunately, he was from here, and he did a terrible thing. But, now this day is to remember the innocent who died.

April 19th is also the day my father had a terrible accident at work. It also happened 10 years ago, because I remember watching the Oklahoma news reports on the tv in his hospital room. A 2-ton piece of pipe had rolled on top of my father's legs, and miraculously was stopped from rolling totally over him by a little piece of cardboard tubing. It was horrible. My dad's knees have never been the same again. Oh, he can walk and stuff, but he's just not the same! The thing that amazes me is how well he handled it. I mean, here he was, with this heavy piece of pipe on him, and he calmly gave his friend directions when his friend found him and was in hysterics. It's mind-boggling really! But, I'm glad that nothing worse happened to him! He may still be effected by it today, but at least he's still here!

Five years ago on this day, I had to quit my teaching job because of my health. I cried on the way up to Admin to give them the note from my doctor. I loved my job, as hard as it was sometimes. But when I look back now, I realize that I would not be here if I had not listened to my doctor and kept on teaching. It was literally withering me away. My doctor tried to keep her composure when she told me to quit, but I tell her all the time thank you. If she hadn't insisted on it, I just might not be here.

And so, I am hoping that April 19th will NOT have any more bad memories for me! I'm over it all now, but it's hard to just forget about it when the day comes up! lol

I'm off in a short while to spend an afternoonwith a good friend who is visiting today. We met at the financial aid office at NU, and have been good friends since! I'm looking forward to hanging out with her! It's always good times!! :-D

Written by melonlady1724 . Link to this entry
This entry has 1 comments: (Add your own)
OMG Colleen- Now I hate April 19th too. :( And Pendleton is 20 min from you because its 15 from me... and you drove through it anytime you went to the Lockport Center Comment from maidothemist - 4/23/05 3:21 PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Health Changes

My Most Inspiring Possession

The Ideal Day