May's Artsy Essay Contest

Dearest Judi has given a list of words that we must use.
They are for May’s Artsy Essay contest,
But there are some that have me confused.

Haberdashery, I must admit, was not the place I thought.
It is a place where men’s clothes lie,
And not where hats can be bought.

A neophyte, I had considered, was a baby bug indeed.
Darn it all, wouldn’t you know?
It is a new beginner, not an insect in a weed.

Palatial was a word I thought was meant to describe hunger.
However, this is not the case,
It describes a magnificent palace of wonder.

How embarrassed was I to know, and perhaps you are, too.
A bassoon is a woodwind instrument,
And not a monkey in the zoo.

I got excited, a little teary when I saw arduous on the list.
I shortly came to realize,
It did not mean lovers going for a kiss.

Titter made me think real hard, and I thought it was a bird.
But after I had looked it up,
I realized I again had come up with the wrong word.

That is it. I cannot take another malapropism.
Perhaps what I shall now do,
Is move on to a euphemism!

Written by melonlady1724 . Link to this entry
This entry has 12 comments: (Add your own)
Very clever...and funny....Great piece.. I'm having as much fun reading everyone elses entries than I did writing my own!!http://journals.aol.com/galadriel92000/AFishOutofWater/entries/371Marie in TN Comment from galadriel92000 - 5/22/05 1:00 AM

This poem was loads of fun. Thanks. Paulette Comment from peppypioneer - 5/21/05 7:14 PM

I LOVE THIS! How creative and entertaining!! Mrs. L Comment from jevanslink - 5/20/05 2:16 PM

Very inventive, great entry....Sandi Comment from sdoscher458 - 5/17/05 9:54 PM

I love it. :-)~Lauriehttp://journals.aol.com/heartsingr/LauriesMusings/ Comment from heartsingr - 5/17/05 3:39 PM

great entry. thanks for defining some of those HARD words for us. I also had a bit of a debate with my mom and husband about what a haberdashery was. One said a place for men's hats another said for men's clothes.. the I got in the dictonary some kind of store but it wasn't specific. Comment from hunybea4him - 5/17/05 1:52 AM

Just awesome, my friend!! You did great! I am SO proud of you. :-D Comment from anglswinks - 5/17/05 12:08 AM

A ton o' fun! Were you confused by the Nigel Tufnel interview from This Is Spinal Tap? "What size are you?""Do you wear black?"-Paulhttp://journals.aol.ca/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/ Comment from plittle - 5/16/05 11:20 PM

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU! Comment from maidothemist - 5/16/05 10:48 PM

this is great!! Debra Comment from dkb11161970 - 5/16/05 10:26 PM

This was wonderful! Very fresh and I LOVED it! Can't wait to read more of your journal!¬JaimeJaimeChase.com Comment from chasenkids - 5/16/05 10:07 PM

Oh Colleen, this is perfectly delightful!!!!!! Very well done and cheers to you, you brightened my day, for a moment or two!!!!! Great entry!!! judi :) Comment from judithheartsong - 5/16/05 9:49 PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Health Changes

My Most Inspiring Possession

The Ideal Day