A Sign

The other day I was in Hobby Lobby for some clear Elmer's glue for a project I'm doing next week with the seniors at the nursing home. Since the glue was almost near the back of the store, I took my time wandering up to the front to cash out, and stopped at a display of signs. The one below really spoke to me, and so I decided that I had to have it:


Ever since I had to quit working at the ripe old age of 24, I have spent the almost last 20 years occasionally wondering what my purpose was supposed to be if I couldn't work. Sometimes I had such terrible guilt about not going to a job every day, and sometimes I felt judged by it. But, there has never been anyone in my life who has outright made comments to me about not working. And, to be honest, the only person really judging me is.....me. It hasn't been until the last several months that I have actually been OKAY with not working. Why did it take so long?? I guess maybe because I found some answers along the way about trying to get a job, even part time, would not be to my benefit. And besides, it's not like I'm not busy! I run a support group, I learned how to make jewelry and paint things, I've been a helpful daughter, sister and friend, I've been volunteering, I've been exercising. And when I am really not feeling that great, I've been able to rest. 

So, as I stood in the store and read this phrase, I came to see that God had a plan for me all along, before I was even born. Sure, I don't love the fact that I have a chronic illness that keeps me from living a normal life, but what exactly IS a normal life? Just because I am not working doesn't mean that I am not living the life that God had already set apart for me! And, perhaps reading this sign every once in awhile will help bring me out of doubts if I have them again that I am not doing what I was meant to be doing. I am following the path that God has known about all along. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Health Changes

My Most Inspiring Possession

The Ideal Day