Back Into Exercise!

This week, I began the slow journey of exercising once again. I hadn't really done much of it in January, and I really know that I have to do something. I have been sitting and relaxing way too much in the past couple weeks. Not really much I can do about it, when the weather is so gosh-darn cold outside! It makes me feel so slug-like. So, I started walking again. And I'm proud to say that I walked every single day this week! Now, I'm not walking anywhere near what I used to. This is totally fine, and I keep having to tell myself that. I'm starting all over again, so I don't expect to be walking a mile from the beginning. It is a little tiresome, because I am starting over, but also because it's a little chilly in this room. Breathing cold air is hard on my lungs, so there were a couple days that I was really tired from walking. But for the most part, I did ok. I kept telling myself to just walk a quarter mile. And that's it. Don't push myself, because at least I'm doing it. Yesterday and today, however, I was able to walk half a mile. Great! Doesn't mean I can do it tomorrow, but if I can, yay! If not, a quarter mile is all I'm asking for. Hopefully I can keep building on this and go further, but I have to remind myself that I'm doing the best I can. If I can at least walk every day, it's better than nothing at all!

I've gotten some comments over the past few years, and recently months, that I don't need to worry about exercising. I am so skinny, that it doesn't matter. Well I'd like to say that it matters alot. I don't exercise to lose weight. Not everybody does. Yes, exercising to lose weight is the hugest reason many people exercise. But there are other reasons to do it. Just keeping in shape is one of them. Building muscle is another reason why I exercise. It actually allows me to go a bit further without my legs getting tired. And it makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something. I'm exercising to make my bones stronger, to ward off osteoperosis. Let's face it, I'm not getting any younger, people. I know, I know, I'm only 31, but it's better to start now than never!

And another reason I exercise is because now I CAN. I grew up not taking gym or playing any sports because I just couldn't. I would get beyond exhausted and so out of breath if I tried. Ever since being on oxygen and Tracleer, the medicine for my PH, I am amazed at what I can do! If only they had this drug when I was a child. I may not always go long distances before I have to stop walking, but if I had tried walking what I do now when I was a kid, I would be so very very tired. So exercise for me is a sign that I'm doing alot better than I used to!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Health Changes

My Most Inspiring Possession

The Ideal Day