There's No Place Like Home

Seven years ago today, I moved up the street from my parents' house into my apartment. I know, I didn't move all that far away, but still, it was a huge step for me. And ever since living here, I have gone through so many changes.

I learned how to live alone, and how to enjoy the freedoms that came with living alone. I also learned how living alone can also be lonely at times. Until I got my cat. And my many betta fish.

I learned the meaning of struggling with the bills, especially after I had to quit my job a little over a year after living here. I dreaded the thought of possibly moving back into my parents' home, but after downsizing and refiguring some payments, I am just barely squeaking by every month. At least I do have a roof over my head!

I learned to accept help. For the longest time, I felt terrible if someone wanted to pay for something for me, or offer to get something that I needed but couldn't afford. Now I just don't say anything but thank you, for I learned that arguing just doesn't cut it anymore. I also finally learned to accept the fact that I wouldn't be eating if I wasn't on food stamps. I was very embarrassed at first to be on them, but now I know that there is just no money for me to buy food if I wasn't.

I lost a best friend a couple years after moving here. After over 25 years of friendship, I came to realize how truly a selfish person she really is. I think seeing me get so sick was a little too much for her to handle, and she became increasingly hard to reach. That being said, I still miss her sometimes. I remember the times we shared, the things we used to do together, the nights out at our favorite bars where we just had the best of times. But even though I lost her, I gained so many good friends in return. I have a great group of friends who understand that when I don't feel good, I can't do something, and they don't put that against me. I love them all so dearly, they really do mean a lot to me!

I've also had some really wonderful times while living here. There have been parties, or just gatherings, which were a lot of fun. Every time Lisa comes home to visit, she stays with me, and I truly am happy when she is here. I know there are times when I don't act like it (she'd say I'm nuts for turning off all the lights she keeps on, or thinking that something has to be a certain way), but I really love it when she's here. I've had some fun times with friends or family just coming over to hang out. It really makes me feel like this is truly my home.

I still wonder what this year will bring, but I know one thing for sure. No matter what happens this year, my apartment is the one place I love to be. It is my home, my comfort zone. Who knows if I'll have another 7 years here, but I at least know that no matter what, I've been happy here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Health Changes

My Most Inspiring Possession

The Ideal Day