My Grandfather's Hope Chest!!
















When my Grandpa S. died 15 years ago, I got several items from him, including a table, his glass candy dish, and his hope chest. The hope chest has been in my parents' basement all this time, which I didn't care about for the first 10 years since I hadn't moved and then when I did move, I kinda forgot it was there. But the past couple of years, I was really hoping to have it. It needed to be stripped and stained and completely refinished. My mom said last September she'd do it, and had started, but the stripping stuff was making her ill. I had tried to help her, but that stuff is really lethal!! I finally asked Eve in June if she'd come over to help strip it and stain it, and she spent a Friday afternoon at my parents' doing just that. So, here are the pictures! A week after she stained the hope chest, I bought the stuff to put over the finish, and put it on a couple times one of the days that Lisa was here. Finally last week, the hope chest was brought over by Dad and Joanie, and it's now in my bedroom!! I'm soooooo happy, I just love it!! I'm going to use it to store my Harry Potter books, and a bunch of sweaters and such that won't fit in my drawers during the winter. I'm just glad to have another piece of my Grandpa with me here.

By the way, when I asked my Dad how old he thought the hope chest was, I thought maybe 1940s or 1930s. He said at least the 1900s!! I was shocked! It makes it even MORE special to me!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow, Colleen , that is cool...What a treasure and it came out so good...I know you are so happy and yes a piece of your Grandpa with ya...Really neat...
Yes our memories keep them in our hearts...
Love ya...

Hugs :))
CL said…
It turned out beautifully. Something to treasure for a lifetime.
Nancy said…
The chest is a beauty!

I love old furniture and have several pieces in my home that I refurnished years ago. Older furniture has character: every ding and dent has a story to tell.

Enjoy your grandfather's hope chest.
Mortimer said…
It's absolutely gorgeous!
MarciaB said…
It's gorgeous Colleen. It was nothing like I had imagined. I"ve never seen a piece like it. Beautiful!
Anonymous said…
It is extremely interesting for me to read this blog. Thank author for it. I like such topics and everything connected to them. I would like to read a bit more soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Health Changes

My Most Inspiring Possession

The Ideal Day