It's Personal - Part I

My personal PH journey began when I was diagnosed at 9 months old. After two trips to a free clinic to get my shots, and the same doctor at the clinic insisting something serious was wrong with my heart, my parents took me to a cardiologist at Buffalo Children's Hospital. I was immediately taken to the back despite the room full of parents waiting their turn to see the doctor. Apparently I looked a bit too blue. After many tests, including a right heart catherization, it was determined that I had a severe heart defect (atrioventricular canal), and pulmonary hypertension. This meant that I was born with both problems, and no one knew until 9 months later. The AV canal - which is an atrial septal defect (ASD) and a ventricular septal defect (VSD) - could not be repaired by the time it was found. My parents were pretty much told to take me home and love me the best they could, because it was unknown how much time I'd have here. I can't imagine what they must have felt being told this devastating news!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Health Changes

My Most Inspiring Possession

The Ideal Day