The OTHER Hypertension

As part of having pulmonary hypertension, I wear oxygen. I've been wearing it for the past 10 years at least. When I am out and about, I notice people looking at me, but I'm at the point where I don't care anymore. It's a part of who I am, and it gives me the ability to actually BE out and about! 

I have gotten my share of random strangers coming up to me asking why I'm on oxygen. Many of them are older, some are also wearing oxygen, others are children. When I am asked why I'm on oxygen, I tell them I have pulmonary hypertension. I'd say about 99% of the people say, "Oh, I have high blood pressure, too!" 

Well, that may be true, BUT, pulmonary hypertension has nothing to do with the high blood pressure everyone is familiar with! It is the OTHER hypertension. PH is high blood pressure in the lungs. If it is left untreated, it will eventually cause right-sided heart failure. 

Oh, and by the way, my regular blood pressure is just fine, thank you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Health Changes

My Most Inspiring Possession

The Ideal Day