The Beginning Of Change

I have been glued to the tv since 10:30am EST. I had been looking forward to the Inauguration for awhile now, and I can't even begin to describe how emotional I've been on and off all day. The immense crowds on the National Mall were just overwhelming. They are estimating possibly 2 million people were there for the ceremonies. I believe it! Every time they panned the crowd, I felt a rush of wanting to cry. The actual Inauguration was very moving, as was President Obama's speech. His speech made a LOT of sense, and he brought back the reasons why our forefathers created the United States of America in the first place. I am sure that the excitement of the crowd could not be portrayed as well on tv as actually being there in person. But, just looking at the pictures, I can only imagine that the in-person experience will never be forgotten!

I almost feel as if I've wasted my day, but I am proud to be witnessing a day of history. I didn't watch the last 2 Inaugurations. I didn't care, and I didn't like who was coming into office. When President Clinton was being sworn in, I was too young to really care what politics were all about. So this day has meant a lot to me. I haven't had a day of watching news information on tv since 9/11, and this is obviously a much more positive and uplifting experience!!

The one small glitch during the day happened during the luncheon while cameras were off as people were eating. Sen. Ted Kennedy collapsed, and had a seizure, and he was eventually taken by ambulance to hospital. The last I heard, he is doing ok, but will probably be in the hospital overnight. But what a scary moment! I am thankful that it wasn't more serious, because what a mixed day that would have been if something had happened.

The Presidential motorcade ended a bit ago. If anyone thought the amount of people on the Mall was impressive, just seeing images of people anywhere and everywhere was amazing!! The crowds on the sidewalks were about 5 or 6 people deep, at least. Then there were people on rooftops and leaning out of windows and such. Just unbelievable! And seeing how the crowds reacted as President and First Lady Obama came out of the Presidential car to walk for awhile was unreal as well! It's been a completely wonderful day, and it's still continuing. I don't mind that I've spent the day on my couch watching history in the making, because I don't think anything like this will ever happen again in my lifetime!! I feel good that this day will bring about an eventual change in our country, a change that is desparately needed!

Comments

I agree with you. I did not vote for Obama, but after yesterday, I am glad he won :) It was so nice for my daughter, who is bi-racial, to see a black family in the white house. Obama's daughters are so cute and they said on the news that the Jonas Brothers were in the White House last night to surprise his kids...and they were excited. I am hopeful for his presidency b/c although I am a republican, I am NOT happy with Bush at all...I think he has left the country a mess...not all his fault, but the war was a huge mistake...anyway, I will get off my soapbox...I think the first family is really sweet and it is nice to see. I felt full of pride yesterday...:)

Popular posts from this blog

Health Changes

My Most Inspiring Possession

The Ideal Day