A Happy Anniversary To Me!

Ten years ago today, on a cold wintery day, after many weeks of packing up my belongings in my bedroom at my parents' house, my family helped move me down the street into my own apartment in a house my parents' had bought. It's really hard to believe that I have been on my own for ten years! So much has happened in my life in that time span. I went from living with the bare essentials, to having so much more stuff to move if I should ever leave this place. I have learned how fiercely independent I can be, and how independent I can't be in some situations. I had to quit my job a little more than a year after I moved in. I finished grad school after that. I've had a few parties with my sistores here, and a few sleepovers. I got my first cat, an animal I never thought I'd be able to have, and didn't imagine I could keep up with, but I love him tremendously! I've had five different upstairs neighbors since I've been here, and currently, I am hoping the one living up there now won't be leaving any time soon!! I've changed the physical aspects of the apartment in almost every room. My bedroom has had a makeover twice! This apartment has become my home, and I love the fact that I am able to live here and be on my own despite living with PH. Even when I thought I wasn't going to be able to stay here any longer after I quit my job and the money was extremely tight (not that it isn't now, but back then it was awful), my mom helped me figure out a way for me to keep living here. I am so grateful for that, and still glad to be on my own!

The one event I will remember most on this day is Shelby escaping the house and taking off down the street. Or, I should say, streets! I clearly remember being in the playroom in my parents' house, and Shelby in the room with me. We had been trying to keep the playroom door shut so she wouldn't run out and take off. Well, that silly little mutt somehow bounced the door open and took off like a rocket! Next thing I knew, we were all screaming at her to come back. I started crying, I was so upset. My dad followed Shelby as much as he could, but it was cold out, there was a lot of snow, and he finally just said screw it and started walking back home. Shelby turned around and started going back, and when she caught up with him, he grabbed her by the collar and picked her up. She got back home safely, thank goodness!!! And the moving continued after that!!

I also remember that I was supposed to start work again after the holiday break on Jan. 4th of that year. I got a phone call from my boss that morning saying we had a snow day. YAY!! That sure helped me get some more stuff settled because I had only moved in 2 days before that.

Being on my own has been a great thing for me, and the fact that I'm still so close to my family down the street has been a big help. I am hoping to continue to still live here for a long time to come!

Comments

Nancy said…
Congratulations on your the anniversary of your independence. Your apartment sounds like it is perfect for you. :-)
Anonymous said…
Colleen, that is such a heartwarming story. You are, indeed, blessed to have this opportunity to be independent. I'm so happy for you and inspired by your outlook on life. Again, Happy New Year and looking forward to many more happy times in 2009.
Teddybear said…
Colleen I am so glad you are able to still be on your own. It is a good feeling.

If I could afford the $200.00 security deposit and 20 a month extra I would have a cat as well. Something for company. Love Ya Deb.
Happy Anniversary!
Anonymous said…
Happy Anniversary Girl:))
I am so glad that you are doing it all on your own..I know that is such a huge accomplishment..You are such an inspiration..a strong person..and a wonderful friend:))

Happy New Year..and may it be the best yet...
Love & hugs,
Jen
You are braver than me...I am not sure if I could live alone and with PH...I admire you for that :)

Popular posts from this blog

Health Changes

My Most Inspiring Possession

The Ideal Day