Another Phriend Lost

Becky was a 21yr old woman who had been waiting on the transplant list for almost a year and a half. She needed a new heart as well as lungs. She had pulmonary hypertension and congenital heart disease, and was diagnosed when she was 6 years old. She was a special case, as her heart was located on the right side of her chest instead of the left, and it was backwards. It made a complicated case for the doctors, but they listed her because they thought they would be able to do the transplant whenever that time came.

Becky finally got her call last night. I saw it on her sister's Facebook page, and I actually cried. I'd been praying for her for so long, and I was so happy she was finally getting her 2nd chance. Of course, I was hoping this wouldn't be a dry run for her. But when I got up this morning, I received an email from Becky's mom saying that the surgery had started at 6:15am my time. I prayed all day that the surgery would be successful and that Becky would do well. However, tonight I heard from a phriend who talked to Becky's mom that Becky wasn't doing well, that the heart wasn't responding well, and that they had to take Becky back into surgery to stop some severe bleeding. A couple hours after that, I found out that Becky had died at 10:02 my time (EST). I am very saddened to know that she never got her chance to heal from the surgery and experience life more. She was so young, and she had been sick for so very long. It's heartbreaking that I've lost, well, that the PH community has lost, another phriend. It's also maddening. We need a cure. Not tomorrow, TODAY. Too many are dying because there needs to be a cure. I pray for one every single day.

In the meantime, I'm praying for Becky's family, who have got to be shellshocked and devastated. Not only was Becky's life put on hold, but theirs as well. They all wanted so badly for Becky to be better. Her mom, especially, did every single thing she could to care for Becky. So I pray for strength for them, because they are going to need it. They are going to take a very long time to heal, I'm sure of that.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I was so sad to hear about Becky. She waited so long and I was so happy to hear she got the call. I am so sad for her family and friends. I am with you, this is so upsetting..I am angry that by now we still do not have a cure!! We have lost too many wonderful PHriends to this disease!! Love ya Lots and sending ya some extra hugs this week!! Great job on your PH Awareness too:))

Popular posts from this blog

Health Changes

My Most Inspiring Possession

The Ideal Day