PH Awareness Month - Post #19

Living daily life with PH means many of us PHers need to take precautions or change the way we do things, or even skip doing things altogether. The PHA has great tips on their website for dealing with various daily activities and other things, and I thought I would go through a few of them in the next several days. Being that the weather has been getting colder in most areas, and that people have already started getting sick, I'd address that issue first! The following are a few tips about dealing with the cold season. The original article can be found here.

Cold & Flu Season Tips:
*Always get a flu shot!
*Never use antibiotics for a cold or flu. They don't work!
*Never share or use leftover antibiotics.
*Stay healthy! Use disinfectant cleaner on hard surfaces every day.
*Don't forget to wash your hands often. Use an antibacterial lotion if washing your hands is not available.

Here are a few of my own tips for dealing with a cold or flu:
*Get plenty of rest! This may seem like a silly thing to point out, but some people (including myself!) don't get enough rest while trying to deal with a cold.
*Make sure to have soups on hand, or ingredients to make soups, which are great to eat if you aren't feeling well!
*Get plenty of fluids. Some people may need to watch their fluid intake, but it is still important to make sure to stay hydrated while dealing with a cold.
*Do NOT take an decongestant! Decongestants are not recommended for people with high blood pressure (including PHers, since we have high blood pressure in the lungs) because they constrict the blood vessels. Our blood vessels are already constricted, so taking a decongestant would make things worse!

Comments

Nancy said…
Good advice. For some reason colds zap my energy more now than they did before PH entered my life.
Teddybear said…
I agree with Nancy great advice. I can't remember when I got a cold last - the flu maybe every 5yrs. I can't have the shots - allergies.

I tend to get sinus infection often, but now with the neti bottle and rinses I should not have as many. Yeah. Thanks for keeping on posting even though your plate is FULL. Love ya, Deb
phtony said…
Did you know...mouthwash not only kills the bacteria in your mouth that causes bad breath, but also kills the bacteria that fights the sickness gremlins? - LOL - I've no idea how that relates to your post but I've been wanting to say it for days now & this was the first opportunity - lol

Glad you're feeling better!

Take care,

T
Anonymous said…
Great info as always..Colleen..You do such great posts..

Ty Tony...LOL also:) Glad you finally got to share that..

Have a great day and talk to ya soon...

Love and hugs,
Jen

Popular posts from this blog

Health Changes

My Most Inspiring Possession

The Ideal Day