PH Awareness Month - Post #21

In the event of an emergency, PH patients really should be prepared with a variety of things needed to insure their safety and well-being. I was reading the Emergency 101 Tips on the PHA website (which can be found here), and I just thought I would re-write the Readiness Checklist. I admit that, while I am ready with most of the information included in this checklist, I don't have everything. I need to do that!!

*I wear a Medic Alert identifier to convey critical health information. I’ve included “Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension,” and such applicable information as “Do Not Stop Pump,” “On Sildenafil -No Nitrates” and/or “Takes Coumadin”

*I always carry a cell phone and/or let people know where I am going if I am traveling alone. I have signed up for a roadside assistance program.

*I maintain a current list of all of my medications. I’ve included concentrations, doses and rates for infusion and/or oxygen therapy.

*I have a three day supply of all my medications and supplies. I keep it with me at all times.

*I keep a current list of emergency contact information.

*I am involved with my PH center in teaching local EMT/hospital personnel about PH, my therapy and how to respond in an emergency.

*I have consulted my PH-treating medical professional and s/he has assured me that I have all the items I need.

Comments

Teddybear said…
Colleen I have done all the same things except one, I do not teach at the PH center.

Totally well written!
Nancy said…
I think you are ready for any emergency, but I hope you have your cell phone programmed with "ICE" - In Case of Emergency with your primary emergency contact's number. EMT's are trained to look at a person's cell phone for ICE.

Popular posts from this blog

Health Changes

My Most Inspiring Possession

The Ideal Day