A Very Nice Stranger

I went to Joann Fabrics today with my mom. I was looking for a crimp tool, something that can be used as part of the jewelryy making process. I figured, why not? Plus, I had a coupon! Yay!!

I got to the bead section and began my search. Not even a few minutes into looking, a lady said to me, "Excuse me, I don't mean to be rude, but why is someone as young as you wearing oxygen?" Now, this woman asked me this question very nicely, so I happily obliged her with an answer.

I told her how I have pulmonary hypertension, and that I need to wear oxygen as part of my medical treatment. She told me she was a nurse, so she was very curious as to what I had. I get questions all the time about the fact I wear oxygen, and some people are downright rude about it! As if it's a terrible thing or something. But she was as nice as could be! We ended up talking for about 20 minutes. After I told her the short version of my life story (I'm surprised that took me only 10 minutes lol), she told me she was a wonderfully strong person, and how amazed she was. How very nice it was to hear that from a complete stranger. Sometimes, strangers can be so amazing to talk to.

By the end of our conversation, she asked me my name. She said hers was Donna, and it was very nice meeting me. She also said God Bless you when she went to leave. That is not something you hear from a stranger every day, either!

Encounters like this don't make me feel uncomfortable. It just makes me wonder what the other people think who are not brave enough or bold enough to ask me about my health. Do they think I'm a strong person? Do they think, what the hell is wrong with that girl? Do they not give a hoot? And when I do get the questions and comments from strangers who are kind about it, I wonder, how is it they think I'm a strong person? I have been told this by so many people, friends included, and I don't consider myself strong. I go through my struggles. I don't know, it's just something I wonder about from time to time!

Written by melonlady1724 . Link to this entry
This entry has 2 comments: (Add your own)
I always wonder why people need oxygen when the come to the shore. At sea level, we are far more oxygenated than anywhere else on earth. I know, they have certian medical problems but, I still wonder about it. I thought you just wore it as a trendy accessory! LOL! Comment from luvmort - 7/6/05 2:03 PM

Awww...how sweet! I think sometimes we don't realize our own inner strength. To me, it also seems like they admire you for continuing to live your life, no matter what. Some people might choose to shut down and not live it. ~ Lori Comment from fitzzer - 7/6/05 8:24 AM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Health Changes

My Most Inspiring Possession

The Ideal Day