Missing My Grandfather

Today it has been 11 years since my grandfather (my dad's father) passed away. To me, it still seems like it was yesterday sometimes. I still miss him, especially when I think that he currently has 2 great-granchildren, and another is on the way. It was so hard for me to deal with for the first 5 years at least after he died. Mainly because the night before he passed, I was supposed to go see him at the hospital, and for some reason I didn't get to. So I was so upset when I found out the next day that he was gone. It was so hard for me to get through, but when I look back years later, I realize that there was no way...and I mean NO WAY...that my grandpa would have gone into a nursing home!! He would have been so miserable! As it was, he had been ripping out his IV's at the hospital because he wanted to go home. So, it really was a better thing that he died in the hospital.

Anyhow, some of my favorite memories of my grandpa are going over on Sundays for the same dinner: meatloaf ("best I ever had"), mashed potatoes, veggie tray, and sometimes gravy. Joan usually got stuck eating on the yellow chair at the corner of the table. I also remember how we used to see what was in the candy dish in the living room before dinner, and trying not to let my mom hear us. We usually got caught! Another memory I have of grandpa is the time he drove around with us near the Falls. It was scary, and I remember not wanting to drive in grandpa's car with him again. lol But there are things that used to drive me nuts that I miss every once in a while. Like when he jingled the change in his pocket so much it made my ears ring. And when he talked about the weather. Although, I have to say, my dad has picked up on those very well. lol

Anyhow, I'm no longer sad that grandpa isn't here. Because I know he's up in heaven watching us, keeping an eye out for us when things are tough. So grandpa, I just want to say that I love you, and I miss you! XXXOOO

Written by melonlady1724 . Link to this entry
This entry has 3 comments: (Add your own)
i miss him too. Comment from balonie24 - 3/25/05 12:17 PM

Oh colleen- (((((((((Hugs girlie)))))))))))) My grabdpa used to do the change thing to.. and this funky pattern playing with his foot beating on the table in this funky rhythm Comment from maidothemist - 3/24/05 10:33 PM

Your grandfather sounds so much like mine. I was my grandfather's pet. He would jingle the change in his pockets, and watch the look on my face. lol He knew I loved change!! I saved change like a squirrel hoards nuts for the winter. lol BTW, I still do! lol Eventually, I got the change, then we both went to my BIG jar in the den, and put my change in there, one by one. :) I too miss my grandfather very much! All we have is the memories now, but, what wonderful memories they are. :D Comment from anglswinks - 3/24/05 8:53 PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Health Changes

My Most Inspiring Possession

The Ideal Day